Thursday, September 30, 2021

School employee shortages? Oh well.....(Long)

   Once, some time ago, I worked as a substitute custodian for the local school system.  I worked as a sub for about eight years; worked eight hours during the day, then another eight at night. Yes, sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning desks, taking out trash, everything. The reason? I wanted to join it full time. Steady work, health benefits, pension plan, the whole nine yards, as they say. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. The person in charge of hiring was, let's say, a trip. Didn't like my family(for various reasons), and so while he had to let me interview, he skipped over me for a full time position. In the end, he thought that (A) someone who hung out with the teachers instead of doing the job, (B) someone who didn't think he'd 'actually HAVE to work!' and who quit after a week, and (C) a stone alcoholic who told me when I showed up to work one night that he was having trouble with the job, and had to leave it. And, no, I still wasn't considered for any of them. Soon after, I left the sub program; I was working CONSTANTLY, which wasn't bad, if it wasn't for the fact that I was working sixteen hours a day, and that some of the other people I worked with, didn't really work at all.
   So, when I see reports of schools having trouble hiring for bus drivers and custodians and such, I just shrug and think, "Sucks to be you, huh?" When they wouldn't hire someone who WANTED to work for them, to hire people who really couldn't (or didn't want to) work, then I really don't have too much sympathy. You had your chance.
   'But,' you might think, 'Why don't you apply NOW? You could probably name your position in just about any school you want!' Because places are hiring mainly contract workers, and not full hires. Soon after I left, they pretty much cycled out the regular hired people, and instead decided to hire from a service; sounds good, except it seemed that they'd cycle THEM out, before they could be considered for full-time hired on status. Now, it's bit a lot of places in the ass. Sorry, gang. Like I said, you had your chance.

   By the way, the clown that wouldn't hire me? Turns out that he got HIS job, because he knew people in the administration; as such, he had an attitude of, "You people are all beneath me! I can do what I want!"
   He got fired after it was revealed that he was watching 'adult content' at work. In his office. On school property.
    Sucks to be him, huh?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yep...Still here...

    Well.     How have you all been? I hope you're all doing well. Myself? Well, not bad. Some interesting things have been going on rec...